New Tenant Orientation
Rules for Vacating
- A 30-day notice in writing must be submitted to the office. A telephone notice is not acceptable. Forms are available in the office.
- Spots, dirt, grease, fingerprints, and other marks must be removed from walls, ceilings, baseboards, windowsills, doors, and other woodwork. The element of fair wear and tear will be taken into consideration during your move-out inspection. Dirt around ceiling vents caused by dirty air condition filters will be charged to you unless cleaned. Fireplaces must be free of ashes, soot, and debris.
- Large nails, screws, and anchors/plugs must be removed and walls restored to the original condition of when the tenant moved. Distinguishable holes patches and spots are not acceptable. A few small holes from tacks and small nails may be attributed to normal wear and tear.
- All decals, wallpaper, or contact paper including adhesive strips, installed by the tenant must be removed. Any damage must be professionally repaired.
- All drawers, furniture, and cabinets must be emptied, wiped out, and left open. Closets and shelves must be clear of all trash. Kitchen cabinets must be free of food and residue and left open. Outside of cabinets must be washed and have furniture polish applied if unpainted wood. Remove any food particles and trash from the garbage disposal.
- The refrigerator must be washed with mild detergent and wiped dry. Dust, lint, and debris must be cleaned from all accessible areas behind and underneath, with special attention to the coils and the grill.
- Wire brushes or sandpaper should never be used on a stove or oven! Easy off is a good product to use on the interior of the oven (provided that it is not a self-cleaning oven). A vinegar wipe will remove the odor. Be sure the oven is free of cleaning residue and burnt matter. Drip pans must be replaced with new ones. Check the edge, rims as well as the sides and behind the stove for grease build-up and splatter. The exhaust fan and range hood must be cleaned and free of grease. To clean filter, remove and soak in degreaser solution and water. Be sure to clean the area around the filter. Pay attention to the corners.
- All light fixtures must be taken down, cleaned, and equipped with working light bulbs. Ceiling fans must be wiped down with a damp cloth the polished. (Washing may ruin finish)
- All tubs, basins, sinks, toilets, and tile must be thoroughly scrubbed and cleaned. All caulking must be free of mold and if needed, replaced. Avoid harsh abrasive cleaners and scrubs that may scratch and destroy the surface.
- The air condition/heating unit must have a filter installed. If a dirty filter is a cause for a service request, the tenant will be charged for that call. The filter must be changed every 30 days. Wipe down the exterior and clean the closet. The outside unit must be free of grass, weeds, etc. Use care not to cut the A/C wires with a weed eater or lawn mower.
- All floors must be cleaned, free of scuff marks, and shined.
- The garage and driveway must be cleaned and all oil and grease stains removed. Lime-away works well for this.
- All trash and leaves are to be removed from under porches, windows, stairs, and screened-in porches. All lawns must be mowed, edged, and treated for pests. Shrubs and trees are to be trimmed, especially away from the building – if touching.
- Windows and mirrors must be completely cleaned with Windex or glass plus. Blinds must have all parts and be in good working condition. Curtains must be cleaned and put back on windows. Window tracks, sills, and frames must be cleaned and free of bugs, mold, and mildew.
- All carpets must be vacuumed and cleaned by a professional carpet cleaner. They must also be professionally deodorized and sprayed for fleas etc. if the tenant had a pet. Receipts are required at the move-out inspection.
- The dishwasher must be operational at move-in and move-out. It must be wiped clean and the inside must be free of food, trash, and other objects. Only electric dishwasher detergent is to be used in the dishwasher.
- Furniture must be polished, moved, and cleaned underneath.
- All screens must be on windows and free of holes. Bent screens must be repaired, if not damaged on move-in.
- If the tenant changes or adds to the property such as ceiling fans, pet door, swimming pool, or security system the tenant must request the owners' permission. Any changes or additions left on the property must be acceptable to the owner or the property will be returned to the original condition at the tenant’s expense.
- The tenant must return the same number of keys issued or be charged for the missing keys at move-out. The tenant will be charged for a re-key if the property is abandoned.
- The tenant is responsible for replacing the A/C filter upon moving out.
- All utilities (water, electric, gas) must be left on for 7 days past the move-out inspection. Should we have to get the utilities turned on to complete the move-out inspection there will be a charge to the tenant of $75 per utility turn-on fee for each service.
These rules are given to you at lease signing. If the rental property does not meet these conditions, you should notify the office as soon as possible before signing any lease documents with the company.
If an appointment has been scheduled for a move-out inspection and the rental property is not to these standards, you will be charged a $85.00 re-inspection fee. If you are not ready a second time, we will hire professionals to clean the property and pay them out of your security deposit.